I’m a rookie in the pregnancy department, but through taking the advice of a few veterans and trying things out for myself, I’ve discovered some of my absolute pregnancy must haves. Here they be…
For stretch-mark prevention…
1. L’Occitane’s Certified Organic Pure Shea Butter. This was one of the products that veteran mommies recommended to me, and so far it has been working wonders. I am disadvantaged in the gene department when it comes to stretch marks, but I am pleased (and surprised) that I have yet to see a single one appear on my tummy (knocking on wood right now). I’ve been rubbing this stuff generously all over my tummy, chest and hips every morning and night since I was about four months pregnant. Honestly, I wish I had started even sooner!
2. Mother’s Special Blend All Natural Skin Toning Oil. Another recommendation from veteran mommies. I use this one twice a day too, in all the same places, right after applying the shea butter. Warning – I’m not crazy about the smell of this stuff, and it is super greasy. But I figure if it helps with preventing the stretchies, it’s a small price to pay.
3. L’Occitane Almond Supple Skin Oil. The lovely ladies at L’Occitane recommended this one to me when I was there to purchase my shea butter. I’m glad they did. It serves a similar purpose to the Mother’s Special Blend Oil, but smells absolutely divine. This is the third thing I apply day and night on my tummy, chest and hips. I like to put it on last because I love the smell so much. The combo of all three of these twice a day might seem a bit excessive, but it makes my skin feel extra moist and grants me some peace of mind. I’ve already accepted the fact that the likelihood of me not getting a single stretch mark is slim to none, and lots of people have warned me that if you have a predisposition to stretch marks, there’s basically nothing you can do to avoid them. That being said, I’ve loved these products and they’ve been working great so far. I figure at the least they may help me get fewer stretch marks. Here’s to hoping anyway!
**Side note: One thing I wish I would have done is put all this stuff on my HIPS and LEGS sooner. I started putting them on my tummy three or four months into my pregnancy, but it wasn’t until month five or six that I started putting them all over my hips and upper legs as well. That is the one place on my body where I have already gotten a couple stretch marks, and I have to wonder if it’s because I wasn’t moisturizing and lathering those suckers as much as I did my tummy right from the start. If I was going to advise a new mommy on when and where to use these three products, I’d say to start the moment you find out you’re pregnant, day and night, all over your tummy, chest, hips, bum, and upper legs.
For staying comfy…
4. Maternity Leggings. You may have noticed that basically every single outfit post since I’ve been pregnant has been in my trusty maternity leggings… and I feel totally shameless about it! I was never one to wear leggings before being pregnant, but I quickly learned that when you’re knocked up, comfort takes absolute top priority. I bought a couple other pairs of maternity pants, but my soft, yummy leggings are about all I can convince myself to wear these days. I’m not sure the brand matters – I’d just look for a pair that are super opaque and super comfy.
5. Ugg Boots. Confession: guys, I am totally that pregnant lady. The one that wears her Ugg boots in public probably way more often than she should, and wears them constantly around the house. And again, I feel pretty darn shameless about it. I don’t care what anybody says about how woof they look – Uggs are warm, cozy, and uber-comfy. I wear them like they’re my slippers around the house, and when I can’t motivate myself to put on a pair of riding boots, I’ve been known to wear these babies out and about too. So sue me. If you don’t own a pair, they’re worth the investment.
6. A cozy cardigan. One of my pregnancy lifesavers has been finding one or two sweaters or cardis that I can live in when I’m in the house. Admittedly guys, my absolute favorite sweater is one that would never grace the pages of GBO. It’s a random zip-up of my husbands that literally says ‘YOU TUBE’ on it. I’m laughing out loud as I write this. It is totally woof and I wear it literally almost every night of my life. But again – I don’t even care cuz I feel 100% comfy in it. It’s the perfect size – doesn’t hug me anywhere (on my belly or my arms), and it keeps me warm without making me hot. For me, finding a fave sweater has made this prego lady happy as a clam. My second place faves (that are much cuter) have been this one and this one.
Ok veteran mommas, I’m dying to know – what have been your pregnancy favorites and lifesavers? Fill me in!
Have a Whiskery Wednesday!
Thanks so much for reading.
2 people like this post.